12.23.2008

The Parsons Desk


One of the major issues with my bedroom was a large open space on the far side of the room and a dearth of furniture to put in it. I had hit the limit on the matchy matchy bedroom furniture and knew that I needed something to break it all up. Practically speaking, I also needed a place to put a lamp and to pile the stacks of books that I seem to keep accumulating. These are the "official" reasons the Parsons Desk was purchased. The real reason is that I have been jonesing for one for a long time and finally found a place to put one.

I actually did research in advance of this post because I felt strongly that I needed to say something more about the Parsons Desk than "I love it, I love it, I love it."

According to the New York Times, the Parsons Desk is to decor what the Little Black Dress is to fashion: a decorating staple that can be dressed up or down. The original Parsons table was designed in the 1930's by French designer Jean-Michel Frank and a group of design students at Parson Paris, and from that it takes it's name. When I fell in love with it, I didn't know it was French, I swear.

In keeping with the French theme on the far side of the room we have, hanging over the desk, a portrait of Coco Chanel by Marie Laurencin. The last time I was in Paris, I actually got to see the original of this painting hanging in the Musee de L'Orangerie, which I found pretty cool.

So, we have a French desk, a French chair and a French painting of a French person all tidily arranged together on the far side of the room. I did all of this quite by accident, but I have to say, I love it when a French Plan comes together.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails