12.19.2011

Out and About in Winston-Salem

On Saturday, my friend Sarah and I drove over to Winston-Salem to see a couple of really cool things...

First, we were happy to see the Modern Masters exhibit which is currently on display at the Reynolda House. 


Let me just tell you - it was extremely cool and I was in heaven.

First, they had three works by Franz Kline, my new art crush.  AND they had a Helen Frankenthaler.  Gorgeous.  AND they had several works by Robert Motherwell - who was once married to Helen Frankenthaler.  AND they had a piece by Esteban Vicente - it was very Rothko-esque and it was so gorgeous I could have just died...

Then we toured the Reyolda House which was the home of RJ Reynolds and his family.  It was also gorgeous.  A quintessential Southern house.  What you can learn from it is that if you lived in the deep South way back when, it was ALL ABOUT the screened porch and cross ventilation.  Although the house is gorgeous it is also very livable.


It's funny that I walked or ran across the Reynolda House grounds almost every single day when I was in law school - Wake Forest's campus adjoins (and was once a part of) the estate grounds - and this was only the second time I have actually been IN the house. 

Crazy. 

If you are in North Carolina this exhibit is definitely worth the trip.  It runs through December 31. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails