10.27.2011

The Sportswriter


So this week, I read The Sportswriter by Richard Ford. 

In case you are keeping up (or care) this is my 19th book this year from the Time 100 list. 

Not bad, huh? 

Anywho, my darling friend is taking a class this year and this book was assigned to her so I read it with her as a sign of my love and solidarity. 

*raises little fist*

I liked the book.  I am still not sure if I liked Frank Bascombe, our lead character. 

Basically, Frank is a guy adrift in New Jersey.  Approaching middle age, he is recovering from the death of his oldest child and the demise of his marriage.  Although I think he believes himself be happy, I'm not sure that he is.  He's running from the devastation in an attempt to keep it from overwhelming him. 

Bless his heart. 

I felt soooo sorry for him.  But I wanted to box his ears about half the time. 

The book takes place over an Easter weekend and a particular Sunday that Frank thinks might never end.  In all honesty, I didn't think it would either. 

All in all, an incredibly well written book and the first in a trilogy.  The second book, Independence Day, won the Pulitzer Prize and is on my list for next year. 

I liked Frank, but I need a little break from him for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails