12.29.2008

A Greener New Year

The coming of the New Year lends itself to contemplation and the hope of new beginnings. Over the past few years, I have gradually stopped making New Year's Resolutions, at least in the proper sense. This year, however, I have resolved to commit myself more seriously to green living. I am sort of a newbie at this so I am making baby steps. I have figured out a few things that I can do immediately to start making a difference.

Since my townhouse is a new construction, I feel good about its overall energy efficiency. It is well insulated. We have the low flush toilets and aerators on the shower heads. The appliances that came with the place are also fairly energy efficient for the most part, although I have questions about the dishwasher in terms of both it's energy and water efficiency (not to mention that it is very loud) so I am going to see about replacing it in the next 6 months or so. The main culprit of waste has been my old washer and dryer, so this weekend I purchased a new front loading washer and matching dryer. These are super energy and water efficient and I also hope will last for a very long time. And in the interest of continued recycling, I have given my old machines to a friend. Here are the new machines, safely ensconced in their little laundry closet.


I am going to install programmable thermostats. I am cautiously investigating compact fluorescent light bulbs but I am not sure that I will be able embrace them, given my overwhelming love of the GE Reveal Light Bulbs - but that's a WHOLE other post.

Since my investigation into this subject has revealed to me that the disposable plastic water bottle is apparently the equivalent of the devil incarnate, I ordered myself a nifty stainless steel water bottle from Kleen Kanteen ...

This refillable and dishwasher safe bottle holds 27 ounces of liquid, weighs only 8 ounces and fits a standard cup holder. I feel like this will enable me to drink more water (another resolution) and do so in an earth friendly way (no more plastic bottles in the landfill).

I am going to continue recycling the regular paper, magazines, plastic, glass and cardboard and I have purchased nifty reusable tote bags for groceries and Target.

Finally, I am going to see about using more earth friendly cleaning products but I don't know enough about that to discuss it at all. But stay tuned, I will post recommendations of stuff that I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails