12.14.2008

House Tour Part I

Welcome to our home! One of the reasons I started this blog was to share my ongoing obsession with all things related to my house.

For those of you who don't know, I purchased my first home, a townhouse, last February. Since our little community was in the early development phases when I signed the contract, we endured many many months of inactivity before construction finally began in December last year. All that time just gave me an opportunity to save, shop, plan, scheme and drive all my friends crazy discussing whether or not they thought my kitchen counters would be too "heavy". But all that planning involved the first floor of our new home. I barely gave a thought to the three bedrooms upstairs, not to even mention the two full baths.

Two months after the move, my obsession turned upward. When I moved in, I brought with me my old bedroom furniture. I got it in the "divorce" and it seemed so....foreign, for lack of a better word, in the new place. Don't get me wrong, the whole "divorce"disaster was over long ago, but furniture is furniture and it didn't seem misbegotten in my old place. Well let me tell you, it didn't belong here. It rankled me. Thee weeks after it moved in, I placed a call to the Salvation Army and just like that, I had an empty canvas.

It is because I thought of the upstairs last that I have decided to feature it first in the house tour. So now, after a few months of fiddling and moving things around upstairs, we are ready for the big reveal.... Voila!


I found the bed first, at my happy place, Crate and Barrel. I swear to you, those people over there think I am insane. I either spend nothing or I just randomly drop by and buy a bed. And it just happened that way. I really didn't go in there for a bed, I just saw it, fell in love and the next thing I knew they were ringing it up. The other thing about this picture is the two new frames on either side of the bed. These were given to me for my birthday by my dear friend and they were the final piece of the bedroom puzzle.

This is my dresser! I love it because it has drawers for all of my stuff. My old bureau was sorely lacking in storage space and when I saw this I almost passed out, my head spinning from the very thought that my socks could have their very own drawer! If you've noticed, I purchased a bedroom suite (save for the bed). I know that this is frowned upon in decorating circles and I generally avoid the matchy matchy. However, in this room it really worked for me so I ran with it. I also want to mention the gorgeous lavender lamp on the dresser. It's vintage and I paid $27 for it at a flea market. Many of you are jealous of my lamp and I just have to tell you - um, you still can't have it. The best part about it is that it matches my lavender paint.

Yes, my friends, I painted my bedroom lavender. French Heirloom by Behr, to be precise. I was a little afraid that it would look too "Easter egg-y" but thankfully it turned out to be interestingly neutral and I think, quite sophisticated with my dark furniture.

And here's a close up of my new desk chair. As you saw before, I bought a really cool white lacquer parsons desk from West Elm to anchor the far side of the room. I love the contrast of the desk's clean lines with the dark wood and traditional style of my other furniture. And the traditional style of the chair combined with the modernity of the clear plastic perfectly ties it all together.


Stay tuned, tomorrow we're going to tour the guest room! And later this week we're going to spend a little more time with that West Elm parsons desk. I love it so much it merits its own post.

1 comment:

  1. misbegotten.. a word not used enough, and my favorite word of the day, thank you.
    french heirloom, enviable, and perfect. i, having a pale pink room, connect with your pale lavender and applaud the choice.
    your lamp, yes. but i feel it would be perfect at my house as well. if the need should arise.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails