7.27.2011

Out and About in Charlotte


One of the chapters in my favorite book, Creating a Charmed Life, is entitled 'Practice the Vacation Principle' and it encourages us to be tourists in our own town and in our own lives.  The author feels that when we do this, even the lackluster aspects of living day to day can seem life part of an amazing journey.

I've really been trying to do this this summer.  For one thing I think there is some truth to it and for another thing I've been so absolutely worn out from work that I'm kind of willing to try anything.

And you know what?

It's working.

This past weekend, I visited Wing Haven, a local garden located in one of Charlotte's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods, Myers Park.  The house was built in the 1920's and the owner, Elizabeth Clarkson, constructed this garden that eventually covered 3 acres.  Now it is a beautiful oasis and bird sanctuary on one of Charlotte's most beautiful residential streets.

It was a joy from start to finish.

All in all, a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning.













If your local to Charlotte or visiting for the weekend (I'm lookin'at you, O.K.) it's a lovely way to spend an hour. 

3 comments:

  1. I have been trying to follow the "tourist in your own town" thought process as well! I must have heard about it from you :) Anyway, I do a great job for a few weeks and then I forget. I need to keep trying to focus on it. So sad to miss such amazing treats right here in your own town/city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget, too. But I'm trying for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for thinking of me! I am just seeing this now and not sure I will have time to make it to Wing Haven in the morning, but I do appreciate your thoughtfulness and like the concept of being a tourist in your own town. I need to do this more in NYC- so many interesting things to see/do and shameful for me to not make more of an effort.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails