3.16.2011

The Sound and the Fury


I think I mentioned (a couple of times) last week that I have just finished The Sound and the Fury.

OMG, y'all! 

When I went into this book, it was with a good deal of trepidation.  I expected tedium, confusion, an inferiority complex.  At best, I hoped to slog through it and say at the end:  "Yes, I read it." 

I did not expect to have a reading experience that changed my life.  But this did. 

I am so sad for all the years that I have lived not having read this.  Or any Faulkner for that matter.  I am busily plotting now to read every word this man ever wrote.  I want to hang pictures of him in my house.  I think that maybe if I had read him before (or during) college, I may have changed majors and become an English professor just so I could spend my life immersed in William Faulkner. 

People have made careers out of analyzing this book.... I can understand why. 

I do not believe that I am capable or able to give anyone any pithy insight into this work.  I think that I have said before that I am not equipped to write book reviews, nor do I wish to spend my limited blogging time doing so. 

I just wanted to say that I LOVED this.  LOVED it.  Was changed by it.  Was carried along by words in a way that I have never been before.  I felt so proud that Mr. Faulkner was an American, was a Southerner... was a giant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails