1.28.2010

Bel Canto



Have you read Bel Canto?

I picked it up in the bookstore and put it back down about 5 times before I actually bought it. The blurb on the back didn't sound like anything that I'd be interested in....people get taken hostage by rebels during a dinner at a South American President's home....

No thanks.....

But then I bought it because I read several good reviews and the picture on the book kept sucking me in.

And I read it.

And I'm in love with it. They fell in love with each other. And then it ended.

Ann Patchett's writing is lyrical. She can suspend time, reason, move us somewhere else and make us go along. You don't know what year it is, or what day it is or even what country you're in.  All you know is the situation and the characters and what happens between them. 

If haven't read Bel Canto, I think it'd be worth your time.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely could not get into this. I read about 100 pages set it down and never had the desire to pick it up again. Can't find it now... I guess I sold it on half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! This is why I hesitate to recommend books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it. I found it very interesting and out of my "box." I wasn't sure how it was going to end, but was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails