1.27.2010

West Virginia is Not Cool



How's everybody doing?  Still with me?  It's Wednesday.  We're halfway through to the weekend.

I forgot to mention the whole Andy Dick in West Virginia sexual battery episode.  I feel compelled, as an emissary of my people, to comment on most things West Virginian.

Why, exactly, is Andy Dick famous, again?  I can't remember exactly what he did to get famous but it seems that he keeps his name in the headlines through outrageously inappropriate behavior.  I assume he's on drugs, I think that's usually what he claims to be the problem when he acts like this because I think he's sexually attacked other people before.  I have to say that I find drug use to be a lame excuse when people behave this badly.  In fact,  it pisses me off when people waste their lives being addicts.  I know it's a disease but it's a disease you have a choice about.  As hard as it must be to stop using, I'm sure people with terminal cancer would love to have the option.  You can choose to stop killing yourself using drugs, you can't choose to stop having cancer.  I've been told I have a naive view of addiction, but I really don't give a shit.  I think everybody's responsible. 

Anywho, if you haven't heard, apparently Andy was in town to perform at the Funny Bone Comedy Club (I'm not making that up) when he threw himself at a male person and kissed him in the mouth while groping the poor guy's crotch and then was arrested - in Barboursville, West Virginia.

Again, the Funny Bone in Barboursville.  I'll bet that guy's bone didn't think it was funny.

And ya know that's where you wanna be in jail for sexually battering another man - Barboursville, West Virginia.   Over to the Funny Bone. 

"Whut'er you in fer?"

"I grabbed a guy's dick over to the Funny Bone..."

*shiver*

Y'all, I grew up in West Virginia and I can tell you that that kind of thing is - how shall we say this?  Well, it's frowned upon in the mountains.  Now, I have never been in jail in West Virginia, but you know, I think I can safely say that Mr. Dick will probably not enjoy his sojourn there, as a Yankee, a junky and/or a sexual predator. We've all seen Deliverance.  We know how it goes.

In other West Virginia news, Leonardo Dicaprio was photographed wearing a WVU cap.  What's up with that?  My brother said that Leonardo's sister's boyfriend plays golf for WVU or something.  Still - I'm not sure how I feel about him representin' - if you know what I mean...  That's my mountain coming out there.  I have a deep seated distrust of outsiders in WVU paraphenalia.  And God help us if we become cool or anything.  I don't really see that happening but still - the thought of it is deeply, deeply disturbing.  Unless you're from West Virginia or you went to WVU,  you ain't got no business wearing WVU hats.   We don't need to be cool, we just need to be us. 

Jennifer Garner?  She's from West Virginia.  She can wear her WVU hat.

Oh?  And that picture up there?  That's WVU's Mountaineer and his loaded musket.  We have the only armed mascot in the NCAA.

And ya gotta admit, that's pretty dang cool.

10 comments:

  1. Leo is mountaineer fan, he lived in west virginia during his early years growing up. he hsa been spotted many times wearing various different wv logoed hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking into this (at work...it's 3 pm, time for random Google-ing) and found your blog. I don't know anything about Leonardo Di Caprio having been raised in WV; Wikipedia doesn't mention it, nor have I found any other evidence of him having been a Mountaineer. It doesn't bother me overmuch when outsiders wear WVU/WV gear, but I do often question the legitimacy of their affection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with ya, honey. I'm suspicious.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. huntington is not homophobic... its a high-accolade college town for christ's sake. it features rigorous and highly ranked areas of study such as their forensic science and medical program. generally, many smart people inhabit the area. smart people typically dont have devolved, regressive opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - thanks for your comment. I did not say, nor did I imply, anything that was homophobic. Nor did I imply or suggest that Huntington was devolved or regressive. Mr. Dick's behavior was inappropriate and criminal - his choice of victim was irrelevant. Mr. Dick was not arrested for being gay (if in fact he is, which I don't know). He was arrested for attacking another person and touching that person inappropriately. No one has the right to sexually grope a stranger and for that, Mr. Dick deserved to be arrested. And I continue to doubt that his victim was amused by the attack. I know West Virginia gets slammed by the media but I am from West Virginia and I celebrate it in every way I know how. Take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you day that person not from the state can't support the college. I am an Indiana born Hoosier. However I was raised by my father who's from Cedar Grove, WV. He went to high school with Randy Moss. So yes I grew not liking any team from my home state but loving WVU. I knew Country Roads by heart before I knew how to throw a baseball. Which by the way WVU offered me a scholarship to play ball there. I turned it down though to serve my country. So before you say some off the wall shit. Just because someone isn't from somewhere doesn't mean they can't be a fan. And let's be honest anyone who claims to be a Mountaineer fan is most likely a true fan. How often do you see someone outside of the state and not at an away game wearing supporting WVU? LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! SEMPER FI.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you day that person not from the state can't support the college. I am an Indiana born Hoosier. However I was raised by my father who's from Cedar Grove, WV. He went to high school with Randy Moss. So yes I grew not liking any team from my home state but loving WVU. I knew Country Roads by heart before I knew how to throw a baseball. Which by the way WVU offered me a scholarship to play ball there. I turned it down though to serve my country. So before you say some off the wall shit. Just because someone isn't from somewhere doesn't mean they can't be a fan. And let's be honest anyone who claims to be a Mountaineer fan is most likely a true fan. How often do you see someone outside of the state and not at an away game wearing supporting WVU? LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! SEMPER FI.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, what's up with Leo wearing WV.....any Mountaineer FAN knows that YOU only wear the WV and nothing else! He ain't one of us...did not drink the water here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having spent much of my childhood running wild in the backwoods while living deep in the Mountain-Dew-flavored-rural proverty that is widespread in those beautiful Appalachian mountains, I'll tell you now that if anyone in Hollywood is going to traipse around in a WVU hat, it is my Leonardo. He endured the tribulations of playing the role of MOUNTAINEER Hugh Glass and it is an honor to see the great state's hat on his magnificent head. Would you prefer more incest references on t-shirts at Abercrombie and Fitch instead?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails