8.04.2010

This Charming Kitchen


Hi, guys!

Today I'm sharing my recipe for spicy shrimp salsa. 

This is a recipe that I've had for years and which never fails to please a crowd.  I have always been very selective about who I share it with, but now, after many requests, I am going to put it out there.  I think it's particularly good in the summer and if you don't want to share it with others you can just make it for yourselves and have it for dinner.  You can easily double it, for larger parties and whatnot, but if you do, pay particular attention to your measurements.  There is a tendency to want to add more shrimp to it, but from what I've heard from others who have tried it, the salsa suffers if you do.

The recipe is originally from Colin Cowie, but I've tweaked it a little bit, for clarity and expediency...

Ingredients

  • 1 pound medium shrimp; peeled, deveined and cooked.  (I buy pre-cooked shrimp from the seafood section of the Teeter)
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 bunch of chopped scallions (white and pale green parts only)
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 mango, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced OR 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I use the red pepper. It's easier, faster and the salsa is spicier.  If, however, you are a pepper purist, go ahead and chop up the serrano chile and live your bliss)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper (I use and little less than 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper)

Instructions

1. Remove the tails and chop the shrimp and place them in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, scallion, mango, cilantro, and chile, and mix to combine. Add the lime juice and oil and toss to mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Chill until serving time (at least 15 or 20 minutes in order to give flavors time to combine) and serve with tortilla chips and beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails