2.24.2009

I'd Love To, I Can't

I started doing Facebook last month. I had all these friends doing Facebook and they said "Come on! Do Facebook! It's fun!".

I have to say that it has been pretty cool. I've been able to reconnect with some friends from school and catch up with them and see pictures of their kids and I have truly enjoyed talking to them.

Of course, I suppose there is always a downside to everything.

I've noticed that many people have TONS of Facebook friends.

Hundreds.

I have, like 17. I think it's because I don't want to be Facebook friends with every single person I have ever seen, heard of or shaken hands with.

I have been contacted by more than a few people whose names I remember from high school but who I didn't even know in high school and that's when I was in the same building with them every day. Needless to say, I'm not too keen on inviting them into my life at this point. Of course the people from high school and college who I would really like to catch up with aren't doing Facebook. Quelle surprise.

Yesterday I got a friend request from a guy who's name I kind of remember. I think his sister was in my third grade class in elementary school. This is the sum total of my knowlege of him. He sent me a message and said "Hi! Remember me?"

Um, no. Not so much really.

I mention him because he has sent a couple of emails to my work address over the years asking me if I remember him and what my parents are up to. I have ignored this person in every way I know how. I literally would not know who he was if he walked up and smacked me. I ignored his request and then I blocked him.

Am I the only person who is concerned about creepy stalker people on Facebook?

Does this make me a snob, the character trait associated with so much high school derision and scorn? Or does it make me a smart modern woman who believes she must control the amount of information that she makes available to strangers on the internet?

Since I have to live with myself I am going to pick the latter. And if the high school people I don't really know think that I'm a snob, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Now, of course, my friends want me to do "Twitter". I'm gonna have to get back to you on that.

3 comments:

  1. you are so brave. you are putting yourself out there for all the nuts, that is right NUTS! but i digress because of course you are very modern and with it for being on facebook while i remain locked into my email only stance. you should definitely be choosy on the admittance of said nuts because after all how many old high school chums do we need?
    people have hundreds. really? it is amazing. how, o how do they get all these "friends"
    o, now i remember they don't. it is a scam. they know maybe 12 people, 4 who like them, if that. but in their quest for external gratification they must, MUST, amway everyone in that they know. need any vitamins anyone? (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have 21 friends. I sold myself a little short.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails