2.08.2009

Sunday Brunch

I have been inexplicably craving Pasta Carbonara this week. It's not like me. I am, however, pretty addicted to bacon so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I dragged my dear friend down to Mama Ricotta's last Tuesday night with the express intent to eat Spaghetti Carbonara. Mama Ricotta's also has the most amazing garlic rolls and also purveys a lovely libation which they call a Mamatini.

Now, I know that I talk a lot about alcohol on this blog and I do it partially for irony because I really really do not drink very much. However, the Mamatinis are the exception. I could slurp them down until I could no longer walk, talk or think rationally. Fortunately, knowing this, I usually limit myself to two. Tuesday was a two-fer night. If you ever go there, have one and think of me.

Where was I? Oh yeah, pasta carbonara. Anyway, one serving on Tuesday was not enough to quench my craving so I bought stuff yesterday so that I could make it at home. I was going to have it for dinner tonight but I decided not to wait and instead, made if for brunch.

Let me tell ya'll, it was really, really good.

I haven't been cooking much since I moved into the new place. I used to cook much more but for whatever reason, I haven't cooked much since I moved. I discovered this morning how much I've missed it. It was as much a joy to haul out all of my nice cooking stuff as it was to sit down and eat. I especially enjoyed cooking in my deep, stainless steel skillet. It rendered the fat out of my pancetta so beautifully.

I have to say, though, I didn't so much love the carbonara recipe that I used. It had a bitterness to it that I am not quite sure where it came from. Maybe the wine that I used? For this reason, I will continue the search for a carbonara recipe. Good doesn't get it done for me. When I cook, I want excellence. Or as close as I can get to it, given my limited skills.

Nonetheless, I am proud of myself for trying. That means a lot. You really have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails