6.17.2010

Portrait of An Addict As A Young Man


I have a thing for reading books about addiction.

I think it's because I don't have an addictive personality and I want to understand it.

This book is a humdinger.  I read a glowing review of it in this month's Vogue, so I ran to download it.  And then I read it until I was through. 

It's short and it's harrowing and it's everything I never wanted to know about what is means to be a crack head.  I cannot imagine. 

The author, Bill Clegg, is sober and doing well now.  Knowing that makes it all the more devastating to see what he went through, his spectacular crash, the way he lost - literally - everything and barely escaped with his life.

Pick it up.  It's time well spent. 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great book, Tonya. My husband is a former book editor and met Bill once or twice and said he was/ is a lovely person and highly respected throughout the industry. The redeeming thing is that so many people were so excited to see him turn his life around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an interesting read; I'll check it out

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, you can tell Bill is a lovely person by the way he writes. And it was also thrilling to me to see how many people were cheering for him and supporting his recovery. I am glad he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails