6.09.2010

Sometimes, Your Ass is Gonna Count


I went to get my toes done on Sunday.  I was sitting there reading Vogue and listening to the conversation between three ladies who were also in the salon.  I think it was a mother, her daughter and the daughter's friend.  The girls were in their early 20's.  The mother hadn't held an outside job in her whole life. 

The friend (a very pretty girl) was relating that on a recent job interview, she was told that if she was hired, they would take her on recruiting trips from time to time because she was pretty and young and because ("Let's be honest") the middle aged men with whom they would be dealing wanted to look at pretty young things.

She was, as I would have been at age 24, appalled.  The mother didn't have much to add. 

I, however, was sitting there with a few more years under my belt and a different experience and thinking three things to myself....

First, at least whatever guy who was interviewing you was upfront in his explanation of your job description.   At least she'd know what she was getting into. 

Second, if you think what you look like doesn't matter, or isn't an asset to be exploited for good or for evil, you're wrong; and

Third, the sooner you accept it and figure out how to use it to your advantage, the better off you'll be. 
Image:  Vintage Girl IV by Jane Heller.

2 comments:

  1. you do have to appreciate his honesty for sure. At least it wouldn't come as a surprise down the line after she got hired. My husband meets with different sales reps in his line of work. The majority are ladies and the majority of them are young, perky, skinny, and very pretty.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails