This week's recipe is for Sweet Potato and Zucchini Bread - originally from Bon Appetit.
This is the thing that I make for my office that they now specifically request. I mean, they'll eat anything, but this stuff really gets gone in a hurry.
Here's how it goes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (original recipe calls for 2 cups - I find it to be too much)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vegetable oil - again I found it to be too much)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (I use my food processor with the shredding blade but I have also used my hand grater. It takes longer and your vegetables are mushier.)
- 1 1/2 cups grated peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch loaf pan
- sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl
- Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to blend in large bowl (I used my stand mixer)
- Mix in zucchini and sweet potato
- Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir well (this makes a fairly wet batter)
- Transfer batter to prepared pan
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cool bread in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Cut around bread to loosen. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.