12.09.2010

This Charming Kitchen


This week's recipe is for Sweet Potato and Zucchini Bread - originally from Bon Appetit.

This is the thing that I make for my office that they now specifically request.  I mean, they'll eat anything, but this stuff really gets gone in a hurry.

Here's how it goes:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (original recipe calls for 2 cups - I find it to be too much)
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vegetable oil - again I found it to be too much)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (I use my food processor with the shredding blade but I have also used my hand grater.  It takes longer and your vegetables are mushier.)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated peeled sweet potato
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Preparation:
  • preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch loaf pan
  • sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl
  • Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to blend in large bowl (I used my stand mixer)
  • Mix in zucchini and sweet potato
  • Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir well (this makes a fairly wet batter)
  • Transfer batter to prepared pan
  • Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes
  • Cool bread in pan on rack for 15 minutes.  Cut around bread to loosen.  Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails