5.05.2010

The Emily Post


I had a moment last Saturday night....

I got a Facebook friend request from this girl from my home town, with whom I went to elementary school.

This person did nothing but mistreat me, bully me and hurt me when we were children.

Now she wants to be my Facebook friend.

In all honesty, my first thought was "What the FUCK?"

And then I thought - with a certain amount of tragic irony - "What would Emily Post have to say about this?"

Emily, however, had nothing directly pertinent to say on this topic, internet manners not quite having made it into my personal edition of Etiquette

I feel strongly that Ms. Post would agree with my mother and disapprove of my use of the word "Fuck" but sometimes, you know, that's just all you can say.

Not to be deterred, I googled "facebook etiquette" and got some help.

PC World points out that one is certainly under no obligation to accept everyone who sends a friend request.

I guess that means that ignoring this person's request is not considered rude.

Good to know.

Still, ignoring her didn't give me any satisfaction.  Although I really have no desire to say anything much to her, I wish I could ignore her more pointedly.   I guess the problem is that my desire to be a person of substance is competing with the bullied nine year old kid in me who wants to be ugly

Grown up Tonya really wants to email her and say "Really? You really have that much gall?  Really?!?"

Nine year old Tonya wishes Facebook made a "rot in hell" button.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails