5.03.2010

May

Happy May!!!

May 1 is May Day.

On May 1, 1830 Union Organizer and Anti-War Activist Mary Harris (Mother) Jones was born.

West Virginia imposed the first state sales tax on May 3, 1921.

May 5 is Cinco De Mayo.

Bono was born on May 10, 1960.

Denis Finch Hatton died on May 14, 1931 in a plane crash at the town of Voi, on the edge of the Tsavo National Park in Kenya. 

On May 21, 1932 Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean alone. 

Confederate Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, who was born in Clarksburg, West Virginia and raised in Jackson's Mill in Lewis County, West Virginia, died of wounds received in the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 8, 1863.

In May of 1883 Claude Monet moved to Giverny.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis died on May 19, 1994.

A Chorus Line opened on Broadway on May 21, 1975.

Walt Whitman was born on May 31, 1819.
Image:  Flower Path by Honeytree.

4 comments:

  1. I saw Bono dining al fresco last night while I was walking my dogs! Such a fun celeb sighting and I had to share since you mention that his birthday is May 10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you run up and lick his face? 'Cause I think I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we all pretended not to notice him...had dinner at the same restaurant tonight and am quite sure that Colin Firth was sitting at the same table with a few other Brits...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! New Yorkers are cool...I'm actually glad that he was being ignored. I would have left the man to eat in peace, too. I would have just gotten, you know - over there around the corner or something and then hyperventilated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails