11.29.2010

Happy Monday


Hey!

How was the holiday?  Does anyone still fit in her pants?  I for one have been one with my big girl pants for the past 72 hours or so.  

One reason for this is, obviously, the holiday.  

But the other reason is that yesterday marked the official kickoff of my Birthday Extravaganza!!!!

Yes, charming readers, this week is my birthday - Wednesday to be exact.  And part of the happiness is that I get to wear my big girl pants and eat a lot.

Now, I've spent the majority of my life being a little bitter about my birthday.   

First of all, my sister, who is three years younger than I am, had her birthday on November 17.  "So what?" you may ask.  

Well, when you're 8 and she is 5 there is no amount of grown up logic which can adequately explain why you are older and yet her birthday comes before yours.  

I had to sit through her birthday parties and birthday presents every year and had to wait for my presents and party and the whole damn thing was just too unfair for me to bear.  

Then, as I got older and got over that whole thing, I began to become angry that my birthday was often eclipsed by the Thanksgiving holiday.  For a long time I didn't get birthday cakes, just Thanksgiving related baked goods that were "for" my birthday.  You know, pumpkin rolls and all that.  

Well, I wanted chocolate cake, damn it.   

And when I was in college and law school, my birthday often happened to be a day when papers were due or final exams were scheduled.  

Again with the me and the unfair and the bitter.  

So a few years ago, I decided to take back my birthday and I decided that a little self-aggrandizement on the occasion of my birth would not be a bad thing.  So now I don't have a birthday so much as I have a whole week of birthday.  Hence, the extravaganza.   

It's really not that bad.  It's more of a state of mind, really.  But for the next 6 days, I am taking bubble baths every night.  I've scheduled a massage.  And a birthday dinner.  I get to eat all the fig newtons I want, with impunity.  I am not leaving the house on Tuesday night because NCIS is on.  I got a new bag and some other new stuff - which I will post about later this week.    I'm using every excuse at my disposal to see every possible friend this week.  And come Saturday, I will get to sleep as long as I want.  

Now that's a birthday!  

You'll see a few of my other birthday wishes on the blog this week.  So don't be surprised.  

I am also doing my dead level best to think up something profound to say on the occasion of my birthday but so far I haven't had much luck.  I still have a couple of days so maybe some wisdom will come to me before then.  

In the meantime, I do have Court today (sort of a bummer) but I suppose I can't have everything.

And before I go today I want to thank y'all for stopping by.  I really appreciate it so much and I'm happy to be able to share some time with you each week. 

Image:  Elegance by Levans Photography.

4 comments:

  1. Well good for you!! I choose to celebrate my birthday for the entire week as well :) I think there is not other way to truly appreciate YOU than doing so.

    Happy Early Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous birthday week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday is Sunday. Sandwiched between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mom, brother, and brother-in-law all have birthdays on the 18th and 19th. I have to admit, my mom did a great job instilling in all of us that December birthdays need to be celebrated to the tenth power because, well, we really get screwed otherwise.

    I will enjoy reading about your birthday week! Sounds perfectly divine, except for the court part. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me smile. Happy birthday week to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails