11.24.2010

This Charming Kitchen



In honor of Thanksgiving, I'm posting 'my' recipe for Pumpkin Walnut bread. 

And when I say 'my' I mean it's originally from Bon Appetit.....  But I make it every year so I'm claiming some amount of ownership here. 

In any event, here it is:

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour (I use White Lily)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (leave it out overnight for best results)
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature (again, leave them out overnight)
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Preparation:

  • Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325 degrees Farenheit
  •  Butter 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan
  • Sift first 7 ingredients into medium bowl
  • Using electric or stand mixer, beat butter in large bowl until light
  • Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar.
  • Beat in eggs one at a time
  • Beat in pumpkin, lemon peel and vanilla
  • Whisk sour cream and milk in small bowl
  • Beat flour mixture and sour cream mixtures alternately into batter in 2 additions each
  • Fold in nuts
  • Transfer batter to pan; smooth top
  • Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar
Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Turn out onto rack and cool.

And now I'm gonna sound a little bit like Ina Garten but this is really important:  Buy good stuff (as in don't use old spices and baking powder) and make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature.  It makes an enormous difference!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

xo - Tonya

4 comments:

  1. OMG...that sounds so tasty! How about I send you a check and you just send me along a loaf? I have no doubt that room temperatur eggs, fresh spices and all I'd fail :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this same recipe the other night, but your bread looks so much better than mine. I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour. Might have to track down some White Lily in NYC for next year's batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about whole wheat flour. I've made it before and this year it came out much better than in the past. I do think White Lily is better than the standard all purpose flour. And I really think the room temperature eggs and butter made a huge difference (if you're not doing that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice try DSS! I'm sure you're a much better cook than I am!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails