1.03.2011

2011 Resolutions


As I think I may have said last year - but maybe not - I don't really believe in 'resolutions'  - as it were.  

It seems like people always come up with some insurmountable list of stuff with the purpose of transforming themselves into a whole other person.  

You can't do that. 

But I do believe that you are what you make of yourself - to a very large extent.  

I am happy to say that one of the great things about 'the divorce' is that afterwards - I just decided that I couldn't go on as I was.  I had to figure out how to deal with the stuff I didn't want anymore and how to accept the rest of it.  It was hard but it's made all the difference in my life.  

Now, I just want to keep getting better.  To that end, I've come up with a little list of things to pursue this year.  We can call them resolutions but I think they're more like goals and hopes.  So - here they are:
1.  Read more books.  I do this one just about every year to some extent.  This year, I've reviewed Time Magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Novels and I am sad and embarrassed to report that I've only read, like, 7 of them.  So I've selected 12 (one per month) and I'm going to give you the list later this week.

2.  Watch more TV.  I know, I know.   Most people have the opposite of this as a resolution, right?  It may be better to say that I want to watch more 'quality' TV.  When you live alone, the TV is a great comfort sometimes.  It's nice to have the noise.  Lately, I've noticed that I often will just have it on without really watching it or being interested in it.  I should be doing something else.  So I've decided to watch more movies.  I haven't watched many movies since I saw 'Saving Private Ryan' 10 years ago.  Man, that movie knocked me for a loop!  Ruined me!  In pursuit of this - I've reviewed AFI's list of the 100 greatest movies ever made.  I've seen 47 of them.  I have selected 12 more (1 for each month) and my goal is to watch 1 per month.  Cool, right?  I'm looking forward to it.  I'll give you the full list - later this week.

3.  Eat better.  Again, it happens every year.  Somehow, though, it feels a little different this year.  I really enjoy cooking and I don't do it too much.  So I'm going to cook more and eat better this year.  Especially more fruits and vegetables.  And good bread and good cheese.  And hummus.  Lots and lots of hummus.  Maybe I'll even learn to make my own.  

4.  Work out more.  Really.  I miss feeling fit.  And I'm soooo flabby right now.  I'm going to start getting the most out of my membership at the Y.  

5.  Learn to wear jeans like Rachel Bilson.  Seriously, she is so good at jeans.  I want to emulate her.  I want to really learn to work my jeans.  I want to become known for it

6.  Learn to accessorize.  I'm not good at accessories.  For most of my life I've had this 'minimalism' goal and I'm still there.  Lately, though, I've felt unfinished and frankly, bored.  I want to be more pulled together.  I'm going to work on it.  

7.  More stamps in my passport.  I'm so EXCITED about his goal.  And I feel like I can make it happen!

8.  Drink more.  Also, I perennial favorite resolution.  I come back to it every year.  I'm putting it in a little because I want to drink more but also because it's a little nostalgic.  

9.  Do more things that scare me.  My shrink says that I need to change the word 'scare' in my mind to 'excite'.  What I say 'scares' me is often something that 'excites' me.  I want to do this more.  

10.  Be a tourist in my own life.  Think about how different your life would be if you acted like a tourist in your own life.  If you ate at different restaurants, took in some shows, sought out new favorite places, walked around town with your camera and just took pictures of everything.  I want to do this more this year.  I'm sort of excited to try it.  
So there they are.  Ten goals for the year.  Ten steps to being a happier Tonya.  

What about y'all?  Are we making any cool resolutions?  Do tell. 
Image:  2 1/2 Months to New Years Resolutions by Justine via weheartit.com.

5 comments:

  1. Great resolutions! I recommend reading Rachel Zoe's from A to Zoe for the accessory bit. It's very helpful. :)

    My resolution is to get back to my strongest self - physically, emotionally - in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have that book and DID NOT EVEN THINK TO LOOK AT IT! Thank you SOOOOO much for reminding me.

    Good luck on your resolutions! I really like the way your phrased yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny... we have some of the same ones. Great minds think alike! :)

    I like all of yours- seem attainable and I think 2011 will be great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love your #10! I was just having a discussion with a girlfriend about what I would do if I were a visitor in Smalltown, VA, rather than a resident. There is so much to do that I am missing out on. I think I'll add this to my list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want you to know that I spend a certain amount of time trying to deduce exactly where "Smalltown, VA" is... because it looks so fun! But yeah. There are all kinds of things going on in any town that you would do if you didn't live there. I'm glad you're going to do it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails