1.19.2011

To Be or Not to Be...

When I started this blog, one of the things I was supposed to talk about was my 'search for love'. 

Yeah, well I don't so much search for it.  It's more like something I look for in flea markets from time to time.  Not seriously, just sort of poking around until I lose interest. 

You all know that for the past couple of months I've been trying to date.  And I say 'trying' because that's what it is for me.... tiresome and trying.

It's not that I don't want to get involved.  Really, it's not. 

It's just that I don't want to get involved.

*heavy sigh*

It's bad when you find your own self annoying, isn't it?

The problem (and this is probably only a problem if you're an American) is that I'm happy.  I'm single and I'm happy. 

I'm not happy because I'm single, but I'm certainly not unhappy because I'm single.

I'm perfectly happy.  Perfectly content.  And perfectly single. 

And I have to ask myself why I want to upset my apple cart. Why do I put myself through this?

I have friends who kind of look at me when I say things like that and it's sort of like they think  'I know she thinks she's happy now, but if she had a man she'd be so much more happy'. 

There are too many divorces out there for that to necessarily be true. 

Don't get me wrong, I know many people who are happily involved in relationships.  But for every happy couple I know, I know 10 unhappy couples. And I've been in an unhappy 'marriage'.  I don't want another. 

I went to church on Christmas Eve and I was probably the only person there who was alone.  No kids.  No parents.  No husband.  Just me - singin' the carols.

And I felt a little sad.  I thought:  Is this what my future will be?  Me.  Alone.  No public proof that anybody loves me.  

Cause that's what I think I'm missing - public proof. 

When you're somebody's wife - you get the ring.  And if he's handsome and successful and your ring is of acceptable size, other people judge you based on that.  Other people judge your worth based on the man you 'catch'.  I know a lot of unhappy women who put on that show in public.  They've got a ring and a successful husband and a beautiful home and 2 beautiful children.  Their happiness is assumed - even if it's a big lie. 

And then there's me.   I ain't got no man or no ring.  I'm a sad, sad girl.  What's wrong with me? 

The fact that I don't really want a man or a ring is met with a certain amount of disbelief and/or disdain. What kind of a good Southern girl doesn't want a ring? 

I know I'm not the only one - but sometimes I feel like it.

So I sat in church on Christmas Eve, looking at all the couples and feeling 'less' and sort of thinking that a significant other would be nice sometimes.....

And then church was over and I got in my car and I was driving home and I was so, so, so, so happy that there was nobody in the car with me.  Nobody at my house.  Nobody to share the bed with.  I was truly happy that I'm single.   

When I was younger I very much wanted to marry and have children - at least in an abstract way.  But it was always something that I'd do 'later'.  And I spent a lot of time - years probably - being violently unhappy when I was single.  Probably because I was waiting for a guy so my life would start. 

After the breakup - I finally understood that that wasn't going to happen.  So I built my own life. 

And now, instead of viewing that guy as the beginning of my life I view him as possibly the thing that will destroy the life that I have.  And I just can't have that. 

So here I am. 

Trying. 

Trying to hold on to what I have while trying to take a chance to make it better.

I am aware of the distinct possibility that I think too much.  And I'm aware of the distinct possibility that maybe there is some guy out there who will make my life better.  So I try.

But I'm not sad.  And I ain't skeerd. 

Just so ya know.
Image from here.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sending this to my entire family. And all of my friends. And my Pastor. And my insurance agent that I met this week, who wanted to know why I'm not married, and why I don't have kids, when his granddaughter is already married, "and she's only 26 and way younger than you."

    And my celebrity is Ryan Reynolds. Him, I'd make room for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a very monogamous celebrity dater, but now I'm a slut. I'm dating all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending it to my family as well! Well, specifically my mother :) I can't ever seem to put this into words. I think she looks at me as if I'm pitiful, and lying to myself. But I'm not! I am so happy falling asleep in my bed by myself with no upset stomach, or tenseness between "us". I have the best friends, and a full life.

    Granted, when I'm 80 I may change my mind. But for today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog. I love it because the place you're in is the place I want to be. I'm 29 and single and unhappy about it. And I'm often unhappy about it because I'm waiting for my life to start. I cannot believe that I can literally say that and rationalize it when there's no rationale to it whatsoever. I think about how amazing the love of my life is going to be once he gets here. But he's not here right now. And he may never show up. And when I think of that I kinda go...meh! I'm doin' alright. I love me. I love my little dog. I love my family and friends. I love watching Rachel Zoe without feeling embarrassed. I love hanging out in my sweats without needing to feel prettied up for a boy. There are plenty of perks being single. Let's exploit 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lived by your words for the past 35 years after my divorce. (I swear I could have written them!) After the bipolar X had taken everything out of “my” house that he had bought while overseas (china, silver flatware, crystal, I could go on), it took “the ring” to finally get rid of him! I came close a few times to getting married again, but I remembered that “free at last” feeling I had when I walked out of the courtroom that day which pretty much set my course. I think I have had a much more interesting life alone than I would have married. I’ve met people from all walks of life through my job, made life long friendships with some wonderful fellas that are priceless, and learned to cope with life’s stresses all by myself. When you become so independent, it’s very hard to cope with someone underfoot all the time, especially after working in a high stress job day in and day out. Of course, there was the crying in your beer/rum times. And, it took me a long, long time to get over one that broke my heart, but, I am all the better for it. I retired at 55 and haven’t looked back. Looking for that boy toy now. What do they call us? Cougars or something??!! Seriously though, I had many cats through those 35 years and I would have never made it without them! You just have to have something to love and to love you back!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the happiest and most accomplished person I've known is my Aunt Louise. She died when she was 88; she lived a long and good life. She never married. I aspired to be like her. Meeting my husband was a true accident. We have been married 18 years and I can't imagine being without him, but if anything should ever happen to him, I would want to be single, like my Aunt Louise. Again, I know that one can be happy and content and fulfilled without a "significant other" and those of us that happen to find someone - well that is gravy, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your candor and think you have a great head on your shoulders. I appreciate that you are happy on your own, but remain open to the possibility of letting someone into your life. Maybe there is someone out there that you would actually want to drive home with from the Christmas Eve church service (and he'd better love those Beans!), but if not, that's okay, too. You are content and that is so hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails