1.04.2011

This Year's Books


So here's the New Year's Reading List - such as it is.  Obviously, I want to read more books than this, but these are the 'official' goal books this year:
  1. The Assistant by Bernard Malamud
  2. Atonement by Ian McEwan
  3. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
  4. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (written in Charlotte, by the way)
  5. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  6. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  7. A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
  8. The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
  9. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
  10. To the Lighthouse by Virgina Woolf
  11. Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowery
  12. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
I'm not committed to reading them in any particular order.  I will say that I already own and have read half of 'Atonement' so it will definitely be the first, probably followed by Wide Sargasso Sea in February.  Not sure why just now - maybe just because I feel like it.

I'm hoping that I will feel really proud of myself if I make it through all of these this year.  We'll do a little post and review each month as I progress.  If anybody wants to join me in a kind of virtual 'book club', please do so. 
Image:  Without A Word by Ryuuki via weheartit.com.

7 comments:

  1. Oh...I loved Atonement. I love everything I read by Ian McEwan, actually. Have you seen the movie yet? If not, you should definitely rent it when you finish the book - it's amazing.

    I'm ashamed to say that there are more than a few books on that TIME list that haven't read, even after having gotten my degree in English Lit! Gotta get cracking...so long as I can still make time for my pretty boys on TV obsession, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sort of funny. The reason that I've stopped half way through Atonement is that I don't want it to be over. Does that make sense? But I'm gonna finish it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Wide Sargasso Sea! I was just referencing it NYE at a party. How odd. And, no one knew what I was talking about. Clearly I need to trade in these friends of mine for some that are more clever. Just kidding. I was an English major, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English Majors are the best!

    @Bee - yep, I completely understand that. I feel that way about several books, myself - mainly The Great Gatsby. I have to re-read it every so often just to make myself feel better about not currently being in the middle of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great goal. I'm going to have to check out the TIME list and see how many I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the list and I've only read two of them. Maybe I'll try to read a few too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went back and re-counted and I've actually read 10 of them - which really doesn't make me feel any better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails