1.13.2011

This Charming House


I have this theory - I call it the 'theory of home'.

I came up with this when I was recovering from losing my mind.  The thing about coming through a major illness - and in my opinion clinical depression is a major illness - is that if you are blessed enough to make it through to the other side life will always look a little different to you.  I mean, I used to wake up early just so I could lay in the bed and breath for a while.  Breathing - long, deep breaths - was just so good I couldn't hardly stand it. 

Anyway - my theory of home is that you should care (and care deeply) about every single solitary thing that is in your home.  I'm talking everything from the kind of light bulbs you use to the brand of cream that you buy for your coffee.  If you don't LOVE it - then get rid of it.  NO DETAIL should be too small for you.  Just think about that.  How different our homes would be if we wanted every little thing to be special.

My darling friend, Sarah, gave me one of these bookmarks for Christmas.  And I was reminded that my theory was correct.  I have used it and it has brought me so much joy.  Every time I have picked up my book I have received a triple blessing - the blessing of the book, the blessing of this beautiful gift and the blessing of remembering my friendship with Sarah and how grateful I am for it. Isn't that so much better than a Vogue subscription card or an old scrap of paper used to mark your place? 

If you need any bookmarks or if you just need some fun paper products, scoot on over to Pam's shop and check out Pixel Impress!

You'll be happy you did.

11 comments:

  1. You are so, so thoughtful. This completely made my day. :) I am so blessed and thankful for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea...I think I need to embrace it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seriously changes things. Really, really makes 'home' truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. I try to do that...kind of let it slip over the last year while taking care of my dad...but I'm back in the groove. I'd rather have a few things I truly love than a bunch of crap that I don't particularly feel anything for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so true! This is really making me want to clean my home! And purge a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Live. Laugh. Love. bookmark. And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, those bookmarks are so gorgeous, and I just went to order a few.

    Second - I completely agree with what you said. I'm about 6 months into furnishing my first "single girl" apartment in quite some time, and making sure that Every. Single. Thing. in my place is something I - I!!! - adore, helps make recovering from The Split so much easier to bear. Thanks for the thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Hey - I'm serious about your light bulbs. The GE Reveal light bulbs make a HUGE difference. HUGE. If you haven't tried them, check them out. They make the light so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know that regular light bulbs are no longer being manufactured? Yep, last GE plant making them stopped last month.

    Also, remember when we were shopping at Target looking at deodorant? Same concept applies to me with what I wear/put into/on my body.

    Finally, have you thought about installing something like what Bryn did that sends an alert to people when you respond to their comment? I'd love to know when you do a response to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I'll have to start stockpiling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i popped over to your blog to find one more book (because i know you love to read) to add to my cart at amazon to get free shipping and found this post. so happy you loved the bookmark!pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails