1.25.2011

How Easy is That? Maybe A Little Too Easy.


I'm not sure if I've told y'all that I love the Barefoot Contessa.  I think she's got a great attitude about entertaining and her dishes are approachable and easily prepared.

Normally, I wouldn't question her choices but I saw a new episode this weekend and I just cannot get over it.

She was asked by her friend, Mariska Hargitay (of Law and Order:SVU) to donate a lunch for 6 to a charity auction for one of Mariska's charities.

Ina said "Sure!".

They had the auction and these 6 people paid $100,000.00 for this lunch.

One Hundred Thousand Dollars......

Cool, right?

And Ina makes them.......... Macaroni Salad.

Huh?

I mean when she says "How easy is that?"  I kind of think maybe for that price it should have been a little bit harder.

She made them cucumber soup, macaroni salad and a desert that she called "Eton Mess" which was store bought macaroons, whipped cream and raspberries in parfait glasses.  And they had to put the dessert together themselves because that was more 'fun'. 

Now - I should say that she put a couple of shrimp in the cucumber soup (to make it "luxurious" she said) and lobster (which she bought pre-cooked) in the macaroni salad but still.... it was macaroni salad.

1/2 lb of shrimp and 2 pounds of lobster.  To me, that's just a little skimpy for $100,000.00.

She's made Beef Bourguignon before.  I think maybe she should have made it again.  The West Virginian in me thinks that that kind of money calls for a piece of meat!

And then while they're eating the macaroni salad and going on and on to Ina about how great it is, one of them goes "What did you put in this sauce? It's wonderful!"  And Ina goes "Oh, it's mayonaisse, sour cream and some freshly squeezed lemon juice!"

Well that's what you get in West Virginia at the church picnic....

Y'all!  I'm just flabbergasted!  I cannot get over it.

So tell me - if you paid $100,000.00 for lunch with Ina would you be a little disappointed with macaroni salad?

Or maybe it's just me.

3 comments:

  1. BEYOND disappointed:( I adore her as well, but I do believe for $100,000 perhaps she could have left the macaroni salad in the frdige. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointed, to say the very least! Reminds me of one trip to Vegas where one of The Huz's vendors took us to a lovely dinner at Michael Mina's and he ordered the beef tasting plate. He got three different versions of beef, none bigger than a half-dollar. My good ol' country boy said, "This is a nice snack, where's dinner?" That place has gone on our "ridiculously overpriced for what you get" list.

    For that kind of money, I'd not only expect a piece of decent meat, I'd want Ina to rub my feet afterwards. And a chocolate dessert that SHE made. I don't get all into the "make your own, it's fun, wheeeee" scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I would be disappointed for sure! Hee hee. Ah gods. I think Ina is so rich now that she probably believes macaroni salad is worth $100,000. Although the eton mess does look good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails